Monday, May 28, 2007

A Little Something for Me

I had been meaning to make myself a wristlet clutch for the longest time and finally got around to it this weekend (my husband and son have recently discovered the joys of a looong wagon ride around the neighborhood :)). I'm contemplating making up a couple of these for my shop. I thought I'd give you a peak and see if anyone has any thoughts.

When I bought my machine (it's the Viking Scandanavia 200 - basic computerized- LOVE it!) a couple of months ago I picked up a little guide arm attachment to help with wide parallel stitching and diamond quilting.

This little elephant fabric just looked like it needed a little diamond quilting to me, so I thought I'd put the little arm to use (sorry for the blurry photo). It really works great. All you need to do is mark one 45-degree line...


and then use the guide arm to make the stitches whatever width apart you want (I think it goes up to 3" or so). I did the quilting lines about an inch apart...

I added a wrist handle, some metal hardware, a chocolate brown zipper, a little pink gingham check lining, and VIOLA!

I now have a cute wristlet clutch to toss in my backpack or grab for those quick trips to the bagel shop! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! That is so cute! I'd buy one. :) I found your blog through ETSY.

Erin
*Mama who bought cutest blue-eyed bear ever (and the adorable choc chip cookies)*

Kitty Couture said...

That is adorable!

Anonymous said...

my jaw DROPPED when i saw that extension arm! i didn't even know things like that existed. i love the choclate elephants and the wristlet is adorable - go for it!

Amy Herbst said...

Thanks!
Jennifer, yeah, that little arm attachment is pretty cool. I have been taking short classes at the Viking dealer and am finding out that there are SOOOOO many more accessories and feet you can get! ($$$$$) I had no idea.

Jenn Maruska said...

What an adorable wristlet!

I just blogged about that elephant fabric today - I love the brown that you used!

And I just got a walking foot for my Bernina and it came with one of those little arms - can't wait to try it out.

I like your blog alot : )

Anonymous said...

I love the wristlet. I know it's very hard to do things for yourself when you have a baby, and running the shop, blog. Looking at other peoples work always inspire me to do more. My boy just turned 1 year old and I have to chase him everywhere so I haven't even open my shop yet. Hopefully soon... i can't wait see your next work.
smallVILLE