Saturday, December 19, 2009

There's still time to knit a cabled scarflette!

I always tell myself that 'next year' I'll have all my Holiday gift-making done way in advance (um, I think I said "October" last year... HA!). Of course it never happens and I find myself scrambling to figure out what to make. Grrr.


Thankfully, this year the stars were aligned and I found a fun yarn on sale (LionBrand's Wool-ease Thick and Quick) and a great pattern for a lovely cabled neck warmer by Robyn Grauer here on Ravelry. The warmers use only one skein, knit up in an evening and, are super soft and warm. It was such a satisfying knit that I made four! I played around with cable patterns and colorways on each.



I did make a few modifications to Robyns pattern. Here's exactly what I did for the one in the pic:
1 skein LionBrand wool-ease Thick & Quick in Pumpkin
Size U.S. 13 knitting needles
Cast on 18 sts
Knit 4 rows
I used the "Cruller" cable pattern from LionBrand's online stitch library (a great resource). I put the cable pattern section in brackets [ ] below.
Row 1: K4, P2, [K2, P2, K2], P2, K4
Row 2: K3, P1, K2, [P2, K2, P2], K2, P1, K3
Row 3: K4, P2, [K2, P2, K2], P2, K4
Row 4: K3, P1, K2, [P2, K2, P2], K2, P1, K3
Row 5: K4, P2, [Sl 3 sts to cable needle and hold in back, K3, K3 sts from cable needle], P2, K4
Row 6: K3, P1, K2, [P6], K2, P1, K3
Row 7: K4, P2, [K6], P2, K4
Row 8: K3, P1, K2, [P6], K2, P1, K3
Row 9: K4, P2, [Sl 3 sts to cable needle and hold in back, K3, K3 sts from cable needle], P2, K4
Row 10: K3, P1, K2, [P6], K2, P1, K3
Row 11: K4, P2, [K2, P2, K2], P2, K4
Row 12: K3, P1, K2, [P2, K2, P2], K2, P1, K3
Repeat Rows 1-12 for pattern until piece reaches desired length (I think I did about 7 repeats)
Knit next two rows.
Next row (buttonholes): K2, YO, K2tog, K5, YO, K2tog, K4, YO, K2tog, K1
Knit next row. Bind off all stitches.

Wow, it looks complicated all typed out like that, but it really is very easy and once you get going it knits up super fast. Happy knitting! :-)

5 comments:

Jersey Knitting Mama said...

Very nice. I have to make me one.

I love your blog by the way.

Gina said...

I made a very similar project, but it was crocheted. (I haven't learned to knit yet) http://dannyandginapalmer.blogspot.com/2010/11/scarfette.html

kidquotes said...

Wow, what a beautiful scarf! I'm going to make one for sure!

The A Team said...

Thanks for sharing! This is what I've been looking for!

Unknown said...

this scarflette looks very pretty!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

doro K.