Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A New Look For Old Boots

My daughter was upset last week when it really rained for the first time of the season and she discovered her hot pink rain boots no longer fit. Brother's didn't fit either, so she instantly received a "new" pair of boots (and, as you might know, instant gratification is thrilling for a 4-year-old! ). Although she was content with her new navy blue boots, her eyes lit up when I suggested I might be able to make them prettier for her.

So I did...

Even though I was too anxious to give them a really good scrub down, I think they turned out soo cute! Rain boots inspired by a sunny Autumn day. I am excited to see what she thinks when she gets home from preschool.

If you are wondering how I did this, here is my secret tool:

Medium-tipped, Sharpie OIL PAINT markers. The "oil paint" part is pretty key. Cool, huh? As for durability, we'll see. I did a few designs on my gardening shoes (also Crocs) using a silver oil-paint Sharpie a few years back. They have held up, no problem. I am hoping the same for these boots! The texture of the Crocs really helps too.
If you do something similar and blog about it be sure to let me know. I'd love to see what your up too. Happy crafting!

4 comments:

Sheila said...

What a cute idea! I've never seen those markers before, but I'm going to have to look for them!

Chrissy said...

You did a beautiful job on the boots! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Now that it's almost a year later, I'm curious how the marker held up on the boots? Thanks!

Amy Herbst said...

@Danielle, Up close the marker has a tiny cracked appearance from wear. I'm sure it would be no problem to "freshen up" up the design with another coat of marker paint (although I'm not that particular) Otherwise, they are still supercute!